I got so damn excited when I heard this that I had to put up a post about it… Jon Stewart is, arguably, a genius. Why?
Come close and I will tell you.
This man, a Jew, made a perfect point when he highlighted the inane hypothetical of another Jew who said “What would the German Jews have done with AR-15s and stockpiles of weapons? They wouldn’t have been murdered.”
What Jon Stewart says next perfectly illustrates a point that I’ve been arguing, that if the armed forces of the United States of America, arguably the most technologically and militarily powerful nation on Earth, who boasts a military of about one percent of its total population, in whole, so chose to subjugate the citizens of the United States, they would have a very, very easy time doing it, whether or not said citizens had guns. What was Stewart’s point?
“I wish armed Jews in the ghetto could’ve stopped Hitler, but…my feeling was, France couldn’t, and I’m pretty sure they had guns.”
Stewart goes on to highlight the fact that Russia had “kind of a lot of guns,” and pointed out that it took five countries six years to stop Hitler.
Now, tell me something, America… Do you really believe that, as technologically advanced as the US Military is today, if you have assault rifles, you’re going to be able to stop them? I mean, the US Air Force has drones and B-1B Lancers… Not to mention ALL THE OTHER TOYS they have. And assuming some amount of the military defects because they just wouldn’t feel right, I’m pretty sure that, even with just 10% of its total force available, the US military wouldn’t have a problem… I mean, unless you’re willing to strap a bomb to your chest and sacrifice your life in the name of your God and for the $2500 and stay of execution some cleric might give your family after you blow yourself to pieces.
One more thing: I’m tired of hearing people call President Obama a tyrant. Saddam Hussein was a tyrant. President Obama has consistently failed to show his “angry black man” side, so, in my estimation, he is as far from being a tyrant as one can be. There are more tyrannical people in Canada. Yes. Canada. Obama is the Canadian’s American. Point blank. This man is not a tyrant.
The reason people are calling him a tyrant is because of this myth that he is somehow circumventing the powers of Congress. You know, Congress, that one group of piddling old men and women that have yet to realize their asses are not hats? Right. That one. He’s not circumventing Congress’ powers at all (they do that well enough by themselves). He’s merely putting out executive orders that, in his position as president, he does, in fact, have the power to do.
In fact, here are the orders:
1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system. (As it stands, it’s against the law, currently, for federal agencies to make relevant data available for background checks, which means, there are gun owners out there who have never had a background check).
2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.
3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.
4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks. (This one is talking about the elimination of red tape, essentially, in systems that already exist).
5. Propose rule-making to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun. (I already thought law enforcement could do this, but it turns out they couldn’t).
6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.
7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign. (This means, they want to teach people about gun safety, you know, so parents know enough about their guns to avoid their little children accidentally shooting themselves in the face).
8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).
9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.
10. Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement. (My God, they’re actually going to try to do something about illegal guns).
11. Nominate an ATF director. (Apparently, there hasn’t been a director of the ATF for several years, courtesy of the Republican party and some frivolous law saying that Congress has to confirm the ATF director. One of those Republican congressmen was in the pocket of the NRA, btw).
12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations. (Stuff that should already be happening).
13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.
14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence. (Now, that’s smart: study why violence occurs in the first place).
15. Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies.
16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.
17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.
18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.
19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education. (This should go further, because mass murders have happened in places like Luby’s).
20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.
21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.
22. Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations.
23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.
So, people, here’s your tyrant, a man who has signed 23 executive orders outlining common sense measures that would have likely been taken already were it not for the Republicans and the laws they made, such as those restricting the ATF from doing their jobs (ATF stands for Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms).
Don’t get it twisted. I don’t like the government. I find most of the representatives spineless, corrupt, and, in general, much, much too pale (I believe some are affiliated with Edward from Twilight…except, they sparkle only when they lie, which is often). These executive orders, however, are about training and background checks. People, you get a background check, most cases, before you’re hired on to a job. Yes, you should have a background check before you are allowed to purchase a gun.
Nowhere in any of the proposed legislation has there been an effort to relieve citizens of their guns. In fact, much to my disappointment, people who already own assault rifles will be allowed to keep them.
Let’s get down to the truth of what this is all about. Republicans simply hate President Obama, and it’s not because he’s a Democrat. They don’t seem to have a problem with Joe Biden. I wonder why? Mitch McConnell, the Epic Failure in Chief, wanted to make President Obama a one term president, and Obama blew it out his ass. He hates the president, but he is good friends with Joe Biden, who works for the President. Tell me there isn’t just the hint of prejudice in that assessment, and tell me true.
Only the ignorant watch Fox News Channel, where much of this hype is coming from, and believe it’s something more relevant than standup comedy.
Wake up, America. Conservatism is a defunct ideology that needs to be replaced with something more sound. Republicans need to be replaced by a party that is willing to use reason as its main weapon of choice, not biblical ideology and conspiracy theory. For the record, that party is not the Tea Party. They’re even worse.
Just a thought.
- President Obama’s 23 Executive Actions on Gun Control (Listed) (kfwbam.com)
- The List: President Obama’s 23 Gun-Control Measures (pjmedia.com)
- Children As Shields Or “Let’s Play Take The Guns” (annem040359.wordpress.com)
- President Obama unveils 23-point gun-control plan (tv.msnbc.com)
- Obama Nominates MN’s US Attorney B. Todd Jones For ATF Director (minnesota.cbslocal.com)
- READ: Full List of 23 Executive Actions in Gun Violence Reduction Measures (foxnewsinsider.com)
- President Barack Obama Just Declared Civil War Against the American People! (godfatherpolitics.com)
- For the Record: Here are the 23 gun control presidential actions proposed by Obama (syracuse.com)
- President Obama Signs 23 Executive Actions On Guns (stlouis.cbslocal.com)
- Obama Announces Slate of 23 Executive Actions on Guns (freebeacon.com)a